Blogging, Community, Community Building, Community Development, Family, Parenting, Personal Development

Why I Decided To Take Precious Time Away From My Baby To Start Blogging Again

My blogging journey—an incredible, fulfilling one that has given me so much—started almost nine and a half years ago right here in Sahar’s Blog.  I never intended to stop blogging—that is, until I had a baby. I had always intended to take a short hiatus when each of my children was born.  When my first… Read More Why I Decided To Take Precious Time Away From My Baby To Start Blogging Again

Blogging, Community, Community Building

Mutual Support and Assistance in the Book Blogging World: My First Bloggiesta Experience

I spent a large chunk of last weekend working on a list of blogging related tasks as part of Bloggiesta. Every couple of months, the website hosts an event during which a group of book bloggers take on certain tasks and complete them during a set number of days. Lists are posted on the website,… Read More Mutual Support and Assistance in the Book Blogging World: My First Bloggiesta Experience

Community, Community Building, NaNoWriMo, Writing

Did I Win? Some Thoughts on NaNoWriMo 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 came to a close on 30 November, but I was lucky enough to reach the goal a couple of days before. Although I don’t know if all of them will make the final cut, I managed to write over 50,000 words of the sequel to the Spirit Within Club. I had discussed at… Read More Did I Win? Some Thoughts on NaNoWriMo 2014

Community, Community Building, Community Development

Perceiving Disunity: Just as Dangerous as Disunity Itself?

A friend of mine who is from a specific part of the world decided recently to organize a get together only for people from that area, kind of like a missing-home get together.  I thought it was a great idea, until another friend of mine, from another part of the world, pointed out that it… Read More Perceiving Disunity: Just as Dangerous as Disunity Itself?

Community, Community Building, Community Development, Friendship, Personal Development

How to Make the Time to Nurture Deep Friendships while Having the Time to get to Know All Community Members: Some Thoughts

Just a couple of weeks ago, Bahá’í communities around the world elected their national administrative bodies in a unique electoral process.  One of its aspects is, as I personally understand it, that each elector has to make the effort to get to know all the members of one’s community. I also understand that to build… Read More How to Make the Time to Nurture Deep Friendships while Having the Time to get to Know All Community Members: Some Thoughts

Community, Community Building, Community Development, Personal Development

The Insistent Self: Dealing with Desire For Success

The way the conversation around success seems to be going, it remains a broad, complex, and subjective concept.  For example, I can define success as something you will consider completely unimportant. But even if we don’t agree with a certain definition of success, some of them still generate in us behaviours indicating that we just… Read More The Insistent Self: Dealing with Desire For Success

Community, Community Building, Family, Labor and Delivery, Pregnancy

Live From the Delivery Room! Community-Building and the Birth of a New Member

One of the things about having so many friends who have been pregnant before me is that I have had the pleasure of hearing about their pregnancy, labor, and delivery experiences and what they have learned from it.  If there is one important, vital, underlying lesson I got from all of these experiences, it’s that… Read More Live From the Delivery Room! Community-Building and the Birth of a New Member

The Real Meaning of Unity: Removing Obstacles to Fulfilling our True Purpose in Life

Quite unfortunately, community-building doesn’t just happen when a group of good-willed individuals come together. Not that good-will doesn’t help! But it’s not enough. All the good-will in the world cannot be properly channeled unless there is unity. If we think of the community-building process as rowing, it becomes clear that we can have a lot… Read More The Real Meaning of Unity: Removing Obstacles to Fulfilling our True Purpose in Life

Unity Amidst Increasing Diversity in Smaller and Smaller Spaces: The Vital Importance of Respect

I recently posted reflections about the importance of learning the skills related to consultation in the context of a family, so that we can apply said skills in the context of society. The world is becoming smaller and smaller through increasingly efficient travel and exchange of information. This means two things: different people end up… Read More Unity Amidst Increasing Diversity in Smaller and Smaller Spaces: The Vital Importance of Respect

Community, Community Building, Community Development, Friendship

Pleasantries: the Hydrogen Bond of Community Building?

Do you remember your organic chemistry? Do you remember those little H-bonds, who were not in themselves strong enough to hold a molecular structure together, but were strong enough to change properties of, say, water? The ones that make a molecule wrap itself differently, and/or make it a little stronger? I have always had an… Read More Pleasantries: the Hydrogen Bond of Community Building?